Monday, June 20, 2011

Aloha!

So no step by steps here but I wanted to get this posted considering I have been slacking like crazy.  This is a cake that I made for a Luau themed going away party for a friend.  She wanted angel food cake with strawberry filling.  Just to make it fun I took the cake batter and divided it up into 6 different bowls and died them each a different color...  Pink, blue, green, purple, orange & yellow.  I then covered the cake in butter cream frosting and let each tier chill in the fridge to harden up the frosting.  The night before I had make all the decorative elements that I could place on after decorating.  I used white chocolate to make seashells and gum paste to make all the rest.  The flowers, surf board and palm tree were made out of gum paste.  Let me tell you, it took 3 tries on the palm tree but I finally got it right.  For the trunk of the tree I took a small wooden dowel and wrapped it in gum paste and then just used a tooth pic to texture it.  I then made the leaves out of gum paste with floral wire in the middle- I found this tip online.  It's best to do these things a day or two in advance because they need to harden and they wont go bad anyway.  I used marshmallow fondant to cover it, airbrushed everything for color and used royal icing for the piping (it was my first time piping so be nice, lol).  The "sand" is just brown sugar.  Here is how it came out...









No comments:

Post a Comment